top of page

Hemel 1 v Dulwich 1

Match Report by Allan Mitchell, Photos by Dan Finill

Hemel Hempstead Town 1 Dulwich Hamlet 1

C Hughes 95 min S Ming 85 min

Tudors boss Bradley Quinton was less than impressed with his sides performance against struggling Dulwich especially after they had literally ‘weathered the storm’ in the first half when the strong gusty wind was very much in the visitors favour, with Craig King’s clearances barely reaching the half way line.

It’s the third 1-1 draw on the spin for Hemel and the extra six points in these games would have kept them in touch with the play off positions, which is an added frustration in a season that looks to be ending with a mid-table finish.

There were few chances of note for either side in the first half with the conditions making life difficult for both teams.

The second period was much of the same but Luke Holness did manage to break clear of the Dulwich back line in the 55th minute but he was forced wide and could only shoot into the side netting. Holness was given another opportunity a couple of minutes later after a good move down the left involving Reece Grant and Josh Williams. The ball was delivered in by Williams and Holness met it with his head but it flew over the crossbar.

Montel McKenzie got on the end of a superb cross field pass from Kyle Ajayi, he controlled the ball, cut inside and drove his shot just wide of the post. Reece Grant was then given the chance of the half when he was sent through with just the keeper to beat but the Dulwich goalminder, Charlie Grainger saved with an outstretched leg.

It looked like it was only a matter of time before the Tudors broke the deadlock, especially as Grainger was forced off the field with an injury, forcing Dulwich to bring on their sub keeper, but as so often happens when the side in the ascendancy misses chances, it was the opposition who took the lead in the 85th minute. It was a poor goal to concede after Hemel lost possession down by the corner flag, the ball was crossed in and Hamlets right back, Sanchez Ming raced across the front of a sleepy hemel backline to tuck the ball in at the near post. Dulwich looked fairly comfortable after this and could have gone two up when Danny Mills hit the cross bar when it looked easier to score in the 88th minute.

As time ran out Hemel looked to have run out of ideas but for the second home game running they rescued a point in the final minute when Charlee Hughes tucked home at the near post from a corner to break Hamlets resistance.

Quinton was happy to have got something out of the game but was disappointed not to have taken all three, but the draw at least pushed the Tudors up one place to 12th after being stuck at 13th for many weeks.

Hemel: Craig King; Montel McKenzie, Josh Williams, Kory Roberts, Jack Westbrook, Kyle O’Connor-Ajayi; Bayley Brown (Josh Castiglione 72) George Williams, Dominic Morgan-Griffiths (Jeremie Mukendi 89) Luke Holness (Charlee Hughes 80) Reece Grant. Subs not used: Myles Bright, Bradley Smith.

Tudors Man of the Match: Kyle O’Connor- Ajayi.

Attendance: 544


bottom of page